Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Wooden boat show at Mystic Seaport…

I’ve been busy with the SB18 build, as you know if you follow our other blog and am affraid I have neglected this one.

We are still very active in perusing the catamaran and just when I think we have it pinned down we see something else. Time is running out on decision-making and I have a new conundrum.

I ‘m trying to get to the Wooden Boat Show up north but am having a hard time getting my plans in order to pull it off. I’ve wanted to go to this show for years but it just doesn’t seem to work out. It’s always a busy time for us at work and you have to get the jobs when you can but, this year I’m determined to get there.

Not only will there be the usual boat displays and vendors hawking their goods but none other than James Wharram himself will be in attendance to be honored at the Multihull Pioneer Tribute. Other honorees include, Jim Brown, Barry Choy, Meade Gougeon, Walter Greene, John Marples and Dick Newick. I have read many of the above designers books or seen their plans and would feel I had been in the company of some of the greatest influences on multihull design and engineering of our time.

It is also a good possibility that there will be some completed Wharram boats and this could very well make up our minds which way to go. One builder has released a note that they will be bringing a Tiki 30. I am unsure of this boats state of completion but it would be of great interest. You can see more about this builder here http://tiki30.blogspot.com/

If you would like to know more about the show check out http://www.thewoodenboatshow.com/

It seems an easy enough task. Hop on the plane and go to the show. I just have to make it happen.
© 2008-2009 Greg Johnson